Right before Memorial day, we had a nice couple of days of sailing. Terri handled the wheel, while I worked the lines. We had a fabulous day!
On April 1, 2011, my friend Matt flew in from Utah to visit and we headed up to Stargazer ltd, to do a little sailing. The ship had been winterized, so this was our first adventure for 2011. We motored out through the goal posts, and the plan was to turn around and motor back. Unfortunately, the engine died.
We were able to get the sails up and headed back to the marina. With help from some people on the dock, we were able to get it slipped, but we still were not sure what the problem was. We had to wait several days for the wind to calm down, and the a fellow sailor helped pull her to her slip.
After much research and a little physical inspection, we determined that the fuel pick-up filter was blocked. The tank was removed and cleaned, and I replaced all of the fuel lines. Mark, and his daughter, came up to give me a hand once I finished the project, and we were able to finally take the boat out.
We purchased our sailboat in November of 2010. The boat, at that time, was named Chocolat. A little bit of research revealed that it had also been known as “Kate” and “Hakuna Matata”. All previous names were removed (along with any materials that were associated with the name) and an official renaming ceremony was done. Pieces of metal were inscribed with the previous names, and each was individually tossed off to sea. The vessel was then renamed Stargazer ltd, and champaign was spilled (and toasted).
Both Terri and Line’s mom were present for the ceremony (along with Kassie – Bonnie’s dog). The official name change occurred on November 26, 2010.
In early November, we took Stargazer ltd for her shake down sail. We went with the previous owner so that we could make sure we understood all of the workings of our new sailboat. Unfortunately, we failed to keep the raw water seacock open, so the engine started to overheat. We caught it in time, but this was Terri’s first EVER time sailing, and we had her at the helm most of the time while we tried to figure out what was going on. Turns out that we burned up the impeller, so a replacement had to be put in. As a general rule, we now replace the impeller at the start of the season.
After looking at several sailboats, Terri and I decided that we wanted to move forward with a “sea trial” to see how the boat handled. We made arrangements to meet the previous owner. Unfortunately, the boat was unable to be started because of water in the diesel fuel.
Now, looking back, it was probably due to several things. One, the “O” ring for the diesel fuel fill was old and probably needed to be replaced. It is possible that rainwater could be introduced to the system here. There is also thought that an accidental fill occurred and water was inadvertently placed in the diesel tank. Finally, it is also possible that a huge contributor to the engine not starting was the clogged fuel “screen” on the uptake. All of these areas have been addressed.
Interestingly, we did purchase the boat prior to ever going out to sea in her.